The town of Buena Vista was incorporated in 1879. Buena Vista was the Chaffee County seat from 1880-1928 until it was moved to Salida. The town once had three major railroads run through it – the Denver South Park & Pacific, the Denver & Rio Grande and the Colorado Midland. During the 1920s and 30s, Buena Vista was known as the “head lettuce capital of the world.” Today Buena Vista is home to approximately 2,150 residents.
Buena Vista has 8 National and State Register of Historic Places designations including:
CHAFFEE COUNTY COURTHOUSE & JAIL (Buena Vista Heritage Museum)
501 E. Main St.
National Register 9/10/1979, 5CF.140
Constructed in 1882, the buildings reflect the Italianate style. Both have walls of red brick, and the roofs are hipped. The two-story courthouse is accented with stone quoins and a tall sexagonal cupola. A one-story addition extends from the rear. The less elaborately detailed two-story jail also has a one-story extension. Salida replaced Buena Vista as the county seat in 1928. Subsequently, the facility was used until 1967 to relieve overcrowding in the local public schools. It was sold to the town in 1975 and reopened as a museum and community meeting place.
829 W. Main St.
State Register 3/13/1996, 5CF.847
Turner Place is associated with the settlement and agricultural and industrial development of the Buena Vista area. The complex contains an architecturally significant log barn built in 1924.
Complete Buena Vista Walking Tour Coming Soon