Directions: Take CR 390 just south of Granite; roughly 5 miles to Vicksburg and 7 to Winfield
These towns were established in the early 1880s in the Clear Creek Silver Mining District.
Vicksburg boomed until 1885 and then mining activities moved elsewhere. Seven original log cabins remain within the town site. Vicksburg was founded after prospectors from Leadville camped out in Clear Creek Canyon and their burros wandered down to the creek. The next day the prospectors found their animals and also found gold visible in the creek bottom. Several “boomtowns” sprang up along the creek including Vicksburg, Winfield and Rockdale. A great little museum is located in Vicksburg and is open on the weekends.
State Register 9/10/2003, National Register 10/11/2003, 5CF.683
Dating to the 1930s, the Crescent Moly Mine #100 and Mining Camp are associated with the Molybdenum boom and the Climax mine phenomenon. An excellent example of early 20th century expedient mountain cabin construction, the Crescent Mine cabins are representative of a simple utilitarian design driven by economic necessity, illustrative of mining construction with local materials.
Winfield, initially called Florence and then Lucknow, was platted in 1881 and its population peaked at about 1,500 in 1890. The post office existed from 1881 to 1912. The last ore was hauled out by stage in 1918. Only four buildings remain at the site. The old cemetery is located approximately 1/4 mile north of the town. Twenty-six people are buried there. Many of the remaining cabins are privately owned. Please be respectful!