Directions: US Hwy 50; two miles east of Salida
A small pioneer cemetery is the only reminder of this once busy place, an important station on the Barlow and Sanderson stagecoach line and a fully day’s trip from Canon City. The town, named for the hotel owner’s daughter, was incorporated in 1879 with every expectation that the Santa Fe railroad would locate its station here. Instead, the Denver & Rio Grande won legal rights to the route, and in 1880 located a new town two miles upstream, South Arkansas (later renamed Salida). Cleora was eclipsed within months as people moved to Salida, some taking their dwellings and storefronts with them.